Sunday, May 1, 2011

Camp Amache

Today I drove from La Junta (that's luh-HUN-tuh), Colorado to Salina (that's suh-LY-nuh), Kansas. Along the way I stopped outside the town of Granada, Colorado to visit the site of a Japanese-American internment camp. About 10,000 Japanese-Americans were interred in what was called Camp Aamache during World War II. Only the foundations of the barracks remain, but the old well house is still standing, though, as you can see in this picture, a large tree is now growing through it. Kudos to Granada High School, which has a student club that maintains the grounds. Tomorrow, I'm visting the Eisenhower Library in Abilene, Kansas. I don't think I should tell them I wrote a book about Harry Truman.

Oh, and the Wall Street Journal reviewed my book. Not too gushing, but still not too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment